Many homeowners and even designers remain confused between modern and contemporary interior design styles. Some believe contemporary is just another word for modern, and they use the word interchangeably.
However, the fact is that both these styles have glaring differences. Before going to the difference between the two styles, it is pertinent to understand contemporary and modern interior design definitions.
What Is A Contemporary Design?
Contemporary means right now, something that is in vogue here and now. Contemporary interior design is not a unique style of designing per se but a style that incorporates design elements of different vogue styles in different places internationally.
What Is Modern Interior Design?
The modern approach to interior designing focuses upon a minimalistic approach where less is considered more. It can be taken as an antithesis to more elaborate and vivid classical interior design styles. There is no single modern interior design that permeates the landscape of interior design across the world.
Are you still confused and cannot make out the differences between modern and contemporary interior design? If yes, then take a look at some of the glaring differences between the two design styles.
- In contemporary design, you would find free use of glass, metals, and stone and leather and fabrics like wool and cotton in furnishing items. On the other hand, you find the dominance of organic and natural materials when you take a look at furnishing items in modern interior design.
- One major difference between modern and contemporary design styles lies in the aspect of functionality. You find many decorative pieces in contemporary interior design that mainly serve aesthetic appeal without any functionality. On the other hand, functionality is based on any good design form in the modern interior design style.
- In contemporary design, the walls are mostly white or black to highlight the design elements boldly and dramatically. In contrast, one can use very earthy shades or bright hues like olive green or turquoise blue depending upon his taste and the need to enhance the design elements’ functionality.
- In contemporary interior design, you will mostly find furniture items basic but carrying bold design features. In modern interior designing, every piece of furniture has a special functional value, and the element of bare aesthetic appeal is not entertained. Even the lighting fixtures used in modern interior design are there to fulfill the needs of space.
Despite these differences, there are also some similarities between contemporary and modern interior design.
- In both types of designing, there is no space for classical and elaborate design elements. Lines are clean with minimal design elements.
- Floor plans in both contemporary and modern interior designs are usually open.
- Furniture items in both styles are seen with exposed legs and handle to show wood glass and metal surfaces.
Contemporary is always changing with more new design ideas replacing the older ones. So what is contemporary today will become old and be replaced with new contemporary interior design. But both contemporary and modern interior design looks magical when decorated during holidays!